At Roxburgh Park Primary School, students in Prep to Grade 6 develop skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking the Italian Language. Students are introduced to Italian through songs, games, role-play and of course using our classroom mascot Pinocchio! Students build on their skills by engaging role-play activities and working through a range of different tasks that focus on language acquisition. Through the integration of performing arts, students develop the knowledge, understanding and skills such as:
- Communicating in the language they are learning.
- Understand the relationship between language, culture and learning.
- Develop intercultural capabilities.
A SNAPSHOT OF OUR ITALIAN LANGUAGE PROGRAM
In Italian, students are able to explore a wide range of topics with a focus on the Italian language. Some examples of the tasks that students participate in include but not limited to:
- Making puppets to use as a tool for practicing and expressing the Italian language.
- Restaurant situations that are set up to practice the language used to order food and drinks.
- Using digital devices such as laptops and iPads to complete class tasks and to access Italian Language programs.
- Cultural projects on Ancient Rome, Italian Landmarks and Famous Italians, giving students an opportunity to learn about the strong cultural background of the country Italy.
- Students are given many opportunities to present tasks using a variety of online applications and
programs, such as green screen, Languages Online, Sway, Forms and OneNote.
Biannually, Roxburgh Park Primary hosts a Carnevale day to celebrate the learning of the Italian language and culture. On the day students partake in rotational Italian based learning activities with a strong focus on Italian topics and themes. Families and friends are invited to a whole-school Italian showcase which displays each students’ Venetian masks that they handmake throughout their Art classes, as well as many Italian pieces of work produced throughout the day. The culminating event is the Italian whole-school concert that sees our whole school dress up as something representative of Italy and perform an Italian song and dance. Many other exciting events and activities are planned though out the day highlighting the importance of learning a language – ours being Italian.